The Seavey Vineyard property was first settled in the early 1870s when Swiss immigrant Charles Volper acquired a 143-acre parcel along a lovely stream that flowed down the center of Conn Valley, an eastern spur of Napa Valley. He planted grapevines on the south-facing hillsides and purchased dairy cattle, which he grazed in the pasture below. He built a handsome, stone dairy barn in 1881, the same year he added stone retaining walls to support a bridge across Conn Creek.
Charles Volper subsequently entered into a partnership with Georges Crochat, a French immigrant, which they called the Franco-Swiss Farming Company. They built a wooden winery in Volper's large front pasture, which borders his entrance trail from Conn Valley Road. Later when the winery burned down they built a stone winery and distillery building on the other side of Volper's entrance trail. When both partners died in 1892, Volper's estate sold his 143-acre parcel to new owners, and it served as a horse and cattle ranch until 1979, when it was purchased by William and Mary Seavey.
In 1981, the Seaveys hired Roy Raymond and his vineyard crew to assist them in replanting the original Volper vineyards. Initially, the Seaveys sold the resulting grapes to Raymond vineyard and other wineries. From the outset to this day all Seavey Vineyard wines have been entirely estate-produced from Seavey Vineyard grapes.
In 1989, the Seaveys renovated the original 1881 stone dairy barn as their winery and tasting room, and in 1990 made their inaugural vintages of Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay under the Seavey Vineyard label, adding Merlot in 1994 and their second Cabernet label, Caravina, in 1999. The success of their early vintages encouraged them to expand production, especially of Cabernet Sauvignon, requiring construction of a second winery building in 2000.
In 2003, the Seaveys installed one of the first solar energy systems used by a Napa Valley winery. The project eliminates 24,000 pounds of carbon dioxide emissions annually.
The Seaveys also raise a small number of beef cattle, whose primary function is to keep the grass down in the hills and front pastures for fire prevention, and which occasionally provide a welcome source of organic beef for family and friends.